The Rucker Hill Historic District is comprised of over eighty homes, many of which were built by Everett’s early industrial and political leaders. One of Everett’s pioneer families, the Ruckers, moved to this hill overlooking Port Gardner Bay and constructed one of Everett’s finest homes in 1904-05. Gradually the Ruckers sold off portions of their estate, which led to the formation of the Rucker Hill neighborhood.
With its spectacular views of the Olympics, Cascades, and the entire city, the district attracted the prominent and well to do, and their tastes are reflected in the distinctive architectural styles they chose for their homes. Representative of the styles commonly used during Everett’s first three decades include the Queen Anne-Georgian Revival, Colonial Revival, Dutch Colonial, Tudor Revival, American Foursquare, and the Craftsman Bungalow.
It’s worth visiting the Grand Hill neighborhood just for the trees on the 3300 block of Grand Avenue. Magnificent big leaf maples, planted around 1910, line the sidewalks and form a canopy over the street. The houses in this area, homes for doctors, lawyers and businessmen of the era, reflect a popular style of the time, the American Foursquare. One of the finest examples of the American Foursquare in Everett is the William and Tennessee Boner home at 3306 Norton Avenue. William Boner, manager of Weyerhaueser Mill operations in Everett, lived in the house from when it was built in 1906 until 1925.
East of Colby Avenue, the Longfellow District is comprised of mostly single-family homes built in the thirties, forties and fifties. In recent years, Longfellow has grown to include more multi-family residences and retirement facilities. Longfellow District is one of the most desirable residential areas, due to its accessibility to downtown business, shopping and restaurant districts.
Some of Port Gardner neighborhood’s distinguished public buildings include the beautiful Mission Revival Snohomish County Courthouse (1910) on Wetmore Avenue, the Art Deco City Hall (1930) on Cedar Street, the Federal Building and U.S. Post Office (1915-17), the restored Everett Theater (1901) on Colby Avenue, and the Monte Cristo Hotel (1925) at 1507 Hoyt.